Skip to main content

Book Review: Rebecca Newton and the War of the Gods by Mario Routi

* I have received this book for review from the publisher but this in no way affects my review *

Rebecca Newton and the War of the Gods (Rebecca Newton, #3).Title: Rebecca Newton and the War of the Gods
Author: Mario Routi
Source: From publisher
Publisher: Oak Tree Press
Rating: 4/5 stars







Summary of Rebecca Newton and the War of the Gods from Goodreads:

Rebecca’s Greatest Challenge Ever...
The Forces of Evil are poised to invade not only the Land of the White Sun but also the Elysian Fields, home of the Gods – and now they have the power to throw human civilisation back into the Dark Ages. Princess Rebecca and her family face monumental battles in their attempts to defeat the massed forces of Evil and the only way she can save mankind is by revealing herself to them.
Her daughter, the young Oracle Leylah, is in love with Prince Alexander, grandson of Hercules, but soon things are going very wrong between them. The fate of the entire universe rests on the confused Leylah’s shoulders as she travels to planet Earth to learn to control her powers.
While the forces of Evil prepare to invade from Tartarus, Zeus gathers the Gods and ancient Heroes to defend the Sacred Flame. Reeling from their last battle in the Land of the White Sun, King Turgoth, Princess Rebecca and the Orizons are still repairing the damage to the Fortress of Utopia when they discover they are going to have to enter an even greater struggle against the forces of Evil.
Good must prevail this time, or it will be the end of everything.
What could be more terrifying than the Clash of the Titans? The War of the Gods! It’s the final countdown... A romantic, mythical fantasy of epic battles, adventure and the ultimate collision between Good and Evil. It all ends here!

Book Review Summary:

After reading and enjoying the first two Rebecca Newton books in the series I was really excited to read the final book. Although taking a while for me to read, the final book delivered with its fast-paced and action-packed plot, enjoyable characters and good writing, concluding the series nicely. 

Plot:

Rebecca Newton faces her strongest threat, an embodiment of evil, and it will take them to their limits. I did enjoy the plot of this story and the set up of the trilogy as I find that the plots are often contained in the one book which is good as you do not have to remember plot details from the previous books. The plot in itself was highly entertaining and addicting, often making me read massive chunks of the book in one go and keeping me interested throughout. There were often points that I just wanted to carry on to find out if certain characters were alive because it is fair to say that Routi knows how to write a cliffhanger. I also like the fact the plot followed a number of different characters often meaning you had to piece the narrative together something that I like to do. The plot also follows the Gods on Earth which added a different dimension to the story and I liked the ideas that humans would be able to know that Gods exist. 

Characters:

I really enjoyed the characters in the series as characters especially those of Rebecca and Turgoth but I often felt that they could come across as 2-D. This is because they often were not developed as they do not have flaws and are perfect all of the time. I mean I know they are Gods but even Gods have flaws. Leylah, however, is a flawed character and does make many mistakes but this is something that can be seen a negative rather than a positive aspect. Although flawed, Leylah often makes mistakes which often make her appear more childish when in fact she is sixteen. This was something that did take away from my enjoyment of the book as she to me is not a well-written character. I did, however, enjoy the relationships with the characters of Rebecca and Turgoth and Leylah and Alexander so this did keep me interested in the characters.

Writing:

I really enjoyed Mario Routi's writing in this book. Although I say that he writes in a simple style, it is this style that makes the novel really easy to read and really immersed me into the fantasy world. His writing also made me read the book a lot quicker than I normally would. The subtitles which give the audience the time frame and the locations were quite helpful to me especially if it had been a while in picking this book up. I was surprised by the end of the book as it contained a quite steamy scene which is not something that I tend to read about in books. This, however, did not take away from my enjoyment of the novel. 

The Verdict:

Rebecca Newton and the War of the Gods is a good book in an overlooked series that everyone should read especially if you are a Percy Jackson fan. 

Have you read Rebecca Newton and the War of the Gods? Did you like it? Leave it in the comments below. 

See you soon, 

Amy
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Return of the Young Prince by A.G. Roemmers

* I have received this book for review from the publisher but this in no way affects my review *
Title: The Return of the Young Prince Author: A.G. Roemmers Source: From publisher Publisher: One World Publishing Rating: 2/5 stars






Summary of The Return of the Young Prince from Goodreads:
With specially commissioned illustrations by Pietari Posti and a foreword by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s nephew,THE RETURN OF THE YOUNG PRINCE will be cherished by children and adults alike across the globe. 
Even princes from faraway planets do not always remain small. Eventually they grow up and – no longer content with their tiny planet – set off once again to explore the universe anew. So the Little Prince, now a teenager, one day returns to Earth and finds himself on a lonely country road in the vast, desolate plains of Patagonia. There he meets the narrator of this novel, who rescues him and takes him on a journey. Slowly the Prince shares the stories of his adventures, and together they begin to explore …

2nd Year Blogging Anniversary and GIVEAWAY (CLOSED)

So if you see by the title of the blog post, it has been over two years, on the 15th June 2015, since my first blog post. I said in my last blog post that a lot has changed in a year but I feel like the thing that has changed most is the layout because let's face it I haven't really been consistent this year. (I blame university.) Although my posts are inconsistent I still love blogging and come up with so many ideas that I want to write about and would love to become more consistent over the next year but we will see how that goes. Blogging comes with a great community of people and Twitter chats have made me find so many books that I love and interact with great people so I am happy to be part of this community. 

So last year I completed a mini-survey which spoke about books that I like and want to read to see if I might have changed in a year so I thought that this was something I will do again...

Q1) Favourite Book

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak- OK so this one hasn't cha…

Diversity Bingo 2017

To continue with my aim of reading diversely, I decided at the beginning of the year that I was going to do the Diversity Bingo Challenge. The idea of this being to read 36 books and complete the bingo-like sheet with the aim being to read as much diverse fiction as possible. Like a lot of people in the bookish community, I wanted to continue reading more diverse books and thought this would be the way to do it. This post is to update myself and others on my progress in this challenge so if you are looking for recommendations in what to read please look here, herehere and here. So let's get started...
Romance with a trans MC: Non-binary MC (own voices): SFF w/disabled MC: Jewish MC: The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli Indian MC (own voices): Displaced MC: The Jungle by Pooja Puri
MC with an under-represented body: Panther by David Owen  Neuro-diverse MC (own voices): The State of Grace by Rachael Lucas Re-telling with MC belonging to LGBTQIA+:
Bisexual MC (own voices): Our Own Pr…