Skip to main content

Book Review: Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

* I have received this book for review from NetGalley but this in no way affects my review *

Finding AudreyTitle: Finding Audrey
Author: Sophie Kinsella 
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Penguin 
Rating: 4/5 stars







Summary of Finding Audrey from Goodreads:

An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energised. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family. 

Initial Reactions: 

This book was sweet and was really easy to read. It had really enjoyable characters although some may say they are a bit clichĂ©. I do think the anxiety in the novel was done well however her recovery in the last 10 percent of the book was quite rapid in contrast to her condition in the previous percent. Saying this I did enjoy it and would recommend. 

Book Review Summary:

I was really looking forward to this book, my Mum is a massive fan of Sophie Kinsella so when I found out that she was writing a YA book I knew I had to read it. However, this book did not live up to the expectations although it was an enjoyable read. 

Plot:

This book follows Audrey, a girl who after an issue at school, develops anxiety which makes her unable to leave the house and follows her journey as she tries to overcome the issue. This was an interesting plot for me as I try to find books that deal with mental health issues. However, I found that this plot did not meet my expectations. Yes, there were some parts of the especially the beginning that I really enjoyed, as I liked seeing the relationship between Audrey and her family develop although there were aspects that I did not like. For one, we never find out why Audrey has anxiety, although this may not be a major factor for some readers but for me, I found that this might have added to the plot, being a way that we could connect to her character. I also disliked the end of the book as I found that it was quite rushed and considering the extent of her anxiety at the beginning of the novel, it was resolved too quickly. I may be wrong about it but this is just how I felt. 

Characters:

The characters were a redeeming feature of this book and there was not one character that I actively disliked. Like I previously mentioned I really loved the family dynamics in the house and how Audrey interreacted to her family members and vice versa. Audrey was also a really likeable character and I definitely felt connected to her story throughout the novel, wanting her to overcome her anxiety. Linus was also a really loveable character and I really liked his relationship with Audrey although I did find how it added to the story to be quite a cliche and almost instalovey in a way. For the most part, I really enjoyed the characters in the book.

Writing:

Sophie Kinsella's writing was another high point of the book and I found it easy to read allowing me to read this book really quickly, getting quite immersed in the plot. The writing was also well done especially with adding the scripts which linked to the recording of her life she was asked to do, added a new dimension that was something different that I had only seen in Me and Earl and the Dying Girl before this. I definitely liked the writing and it added to the overall story. 

The Verdict:

Finding Audrey is an enjoyable read that deals with mental health in a good way, with likeable characters and an engaging plot which may have a rushed ending.

Have you read Finding Audrey? Did you like it? Leave it in the comments below. 

See you soon, 

Amy
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Return of the Young Prince by A.G. Roemmers

* I have received this book for review from the publisher but this in no way affects my review *
Title: The Return of the Young Prince Author: A.G. Roemmers Source: From publisher Publisher: One World Publishing Rating: 2/5 stars






Summary of The Return of the Young Prince from Goodreads:
With specially commissioned illustrations by Pietari Posti and a foreword by Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry’s nephew,THE RETURN OF THE YOUNG PRINCE will be cherished by children and adults alike across the globe. 
Even princes from faraway planets do not always remain small. Eventually they grow up and – no longer content with their tiny planet – set off once again to explore the universe anew. So the Little Prince, now a teenager, one day returns to Earth and finds himself on a lonely country road in the vast, desolate plains of Patagonia. There he meets the narrator of this novel, who rescues him and takes him on a journey. Slowly the Prince shares the stories of his adventures, and together they begin to explore …

2nd Year Blogging Anniversary and GIVEAWAY (OPEN)

So if you see by the title of the blog post, it has been over two years, on the 15th June 2015, since my first blog post. I said in my last blog post that a lot has changed in a year but I feel like the thing that has changed most is the layout because let's face it I haven't really been consistent this year. (I blame university.) Although my posts are inconsistent I still love blogging and come up with so many ideas that I want to write about and would love to become more consistent over the next year but we will see how that goes. Blogging comes with a great community of people and Twitter chats have made me find so many books that I love and interact with great people so I am happy to be part of this community. 

So last year I completed a mini-survey which spoke about books that I like and want to read to see if I might have changed in a year so I thought that this was something I will do again...

Q1) Favourite Book

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak- OK so this one hasn't cha…

Female Representation in Harry Potter: A Transcription

So later today, in 2 hours I am going to be doing a presentation on Female Representation in Harry Potter for my university's Harry Potter Society and I thought some of you may be interested in what I had to say. I also respect that people may disagree with my views on the subject and understand that this is not the only opinion you can have. So here it is...

Hello, everyone. Thank you for coming! Today I am going to discuss female representation in Harry Potter books and films. The aims of this presentation would be to introduce you to the fact that female representation in Harry Potter may not be what it seems. So you may think that female characters are actually quite well done in the series but at some points, this is not the case. To look at this further I will be looking at characters individually as well as some aspects of the series in general. I guess that until I first researched the topic, I thought that of course, Harry Potter was going to have good female representation…